Home to the "Black Gold" Rush of Northwest Ohio
The Village of Haskins, Ohio, located in Wood County, owes its early growth to the oil boom of Northwest Ohio during the late 19th century.
Haskins is named for Whitcomb Haskins, a distant relative of U.S. President Franklin Pierce and a past owner of the land upon which Haskins was built. At the close of the Civil War, Haskins was a thriving settlement and became incorporated in 1869. Soon after, the discovery of oil led Haskins to be at the center of one of the greatest fortune hunts in the nation at that time.
The oil boom days were over by 1910, and by 1917, electricity came to Haskins. The town council appointed a committee to get estimates for wiring the village for electricity. The winning bid of $325 led to the construction of wires and poles to distribute electricity.
Village of Haskins Municipal Light and Power was established in 1918, and currently serves 480 meters. The village is a participating project member in the following AMP projects: OMEGA JV2, OMEGA JV5, Northwest AMP Service Group (NWASG), Mutual Aid and the Municipal Energy Services Agency (MESA).
View Haskins’ website