This year American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) celebrates its 50th Anniversary of serving member electric systems; five decades of being Stronger Together.
AMP was founded in 1971 when a group of municipally owned electric systems joined forces to lower costs and increase the reliability of their power supply to benefit their consumer-owners.
Originally called American Municipal Power-Ohio, Inc., AMP’s primary focus in its first 25 years was joint ownership of electric facilities, pooled buying power in energy markets and alternative means of generating, transmitting and distributing electric power and energy to benefit customer-owners. The organization also provided a forum for members to come together on mutual aid, safety training, other programs, and regulatory and policy matters.
Through the years, the organization has developed a variety of programs and services to meet member needs. In 2009, in recognition of the expanded membership footprint, AMP-Ohio officially became AMP. Today, AMP has grown to serve 135 members across nine states.
Mission, Vision and Values
To serve Members through public power joint action, innovative solutions, robust advocacy and cost-effective management of power supply and energy services.
To be public power’s trusted leader in providing Members and their customers the highest-quality, forward-looking services and solutions.
- Integrity - Be honest, fair, reliable, trustworthy and ethical.
- Member Focus - Provide dedicated and professional support to all members in the AMP footprint.
- Partnership - Collaborate to achieve common goals.
- Employee Engagement - Commit to a diverse, inclusive, safe and supportive work environment.
- Stewardship - Manage resources wisely and sustainably while striving for operational, financial and administrative excellence.
- Innovation - Energize and inspire new and creative approaches that increase value to Members and Employees.
- Accountability - Be responsive and communicate transparently and effectively.