American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) takes pride in its community involvement. AMP has a number of projects, programs and awards in place to keep it involved in its member communities.
Special Events Kit
Get the word out about public power at fairs, festivals, community events and Public Power Week celebrations with a Special Events Kit. The kit includes a variety of promotional items imprinted with the powerwheel or AMP logo. Members can request one kit free of charge each calendar year. Additional kits and/or individual promotional items can be purchased at cost. Please give as much advance notice as possible to process requests and ensure availability of promotional items. To request a Special Events Kit, please contact Karen Ritchey, director of member events and programs, at 614.540.0933 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ernie Energy is the official mascot of AMP’s public power communities. The mascot is available in two forms, an inflatable version that can “stand around” at fairs, festivals and other gatherings; or a costume that can be worn by a volunteer and become interactive with the crowd. The mascot is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis throughout the year.
Each Year AMP honors member communities for their outstanding achievements. Nomination packets are sent to member communities each summer. The awards are presented during the awards banquet at the AMP/OMEA annual conference. The following awards are presented annually:
- Environmental Stewardship Award – honors utilities that have made significant efforts in the areas of conservation, renewable generation and/or recycling efforts.
- Public Power Innovation Award – recognizes Ohio municipal electric communities’ innovations in terms of providing affordable reliable power to customers.
- Public Power Promotion Award – honors utilities that have made a significant effort in their marketing, consumer awareness and branding efforts.
- System Improvement Award – honors utilities that have made improvements in service to their customer owners.
- Safety Award – recognizes utilities with the lowest overall incidence rate of preventable accidents.
- Credit Score Award – honors utilities based on credit scoring policies adopted by the AMP Board of Trustees.
- Financing of the Year Award – recognizes a member community that financed a new project and enhanced the system’s financial soundness and creditworthiness; improved the electric system’s reliability and safety; enhanced economic development within the municipality; and demonstrated economic savings to the electric fund.
AMP also presents these individual awards annually:
- Seven Hats Award – recognizes a utility manager who serves a smaller community, and whose management responsibilities extend well beyond the scope of a manager in a larger system who has a larger staff.
- Hard Hat Safety Award – honors utility employees who have contributed to safety within their community during the past year, shown adherence to on-the-job safety procedures, and promoted electrical safety within their department and community.
For more information about our rewards program, please contact Karen Ritchey, director of member events and programs, at 614.540.0933 or email@example.com.
As a community’s energy lifeline, key account customers of a municipal electric utility count on the public power utility to provide them with energy and energy-related education, services and tools that improve their ability to operate more efficiently and with limited interruption. AMP’s Direct Connections key accounts program was created to assist the municipal electric utility in obtaining the information, education, tools and services they may need to develop or enhance their own successful key accounts program.
Through Direct Connections, members have access to professionally trained key account representative contract labor and/or specialized training for municipal employees using LAMP®, (Miller Heiman’s Large Account Management Process), which helps organizations develop strategies to protect and grow their key accounts. In addition to key account representative labor and training, Direct Connections can provide members the following cost effective services:
- Energy efficiency education and training
- Comprehensive energy audits and industrial assessments
- Electric load monitoring
- Compressed air, gas or steam leak detection
- Energy use & cost tracking
- Internet-based electric meter load monitoring
- Power quality investigations
- Infrared inspections
- Periodic communications & research (Questline®)
- Customized “Direct Connections” branded promotion materials
The Direct Connections, key accounts program creates a sustainable forum for regular dialogue between a municipal electric utility and its largest consumer-owners, enabling the utility to better serve their specific energy service needs. It also strengthens the local economy, demonstrating the municipal electric utility’s commitment to all customers. By partnering with key accounts, the municipal electric utility cost effectively improves communications, demand side management and energy efficiency efforts, resulting in improved energy utilization and energy cost savings for both the utility and its customers.
For more information on Direct Connections, please contact Bob DeWitt, director of energy efficiency & business development services, at 614.540.1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.