COLUMBUS, OH: American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) offers the following 18 tips for being more energy efficient in 2018.
1. Lower your thermostat during colder months.
2. Turn up the thermostat and use fans during warmer months.
3. Install a programmable thermostat.
4. Use rugs and curtains for additional insulation.
5. Use door sweeps or towels to limit air leaks under doors.
6. Ensure window air conditioning units are properly fitted.
7. Seal all windows when temperatures have begun to drop.
8. Have an infrared insulation inspection.
9. Conduct an energy audit of your home. Visit www.amppartners.org for resources.
10. Have your central air and furnace inspected, serviced and cleaned once a year.
11. Clean or change A/C and furnace filters once a month, or according to manufacturer guidelines.
12. Turn off unused lights and appliances.
13. Unplug battery chargers and power adapters when not in use.
14. Let computers go into sleep mode, rather than using screen savers.
15. Turn your water heater down.
16. Wash clothes in cold water.
17. Avoid doing things that produce excess heat during the day, such as cooking and dishes.
18. Plant shade trees and shrubs.
Following these simple steps can help you save money and have a more energy efficient home in 2018.
View official news release