COLUMBUS: American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) has announced the 2012 recipients of two scholarship programs administered by the organization. AMP is awarding a total of eight scholarships to graduating high school seniors.
The AMP Board of Trustees established the scholarship programs in memory of public power leaders that contributed significantly to the organization and municipal electric systems in the region. Lyle B. Wright was a strong public power advocate who served on the AMP Board of Trustees from 1979 until his death in 1986. The $2,000 scholarships in this program are awarded to graduating seniors whose household receives electricity from an AMP member utility.
Richard H. Gorsuch was the organization’s president from 1983 until his death in 1987. The $2,000 scholarships in this program are awarded to graduating seniors whose parent or guardian is an employee of either a municipal electric system or AMP, or is an elected official with responsibility for the electric system.
The 2012 Lyle B. Wright Scholarship recipients are:
- Jenna Ahlers – New Bremen High School, New Bremen, Ohio
- Mitchell Jokerst – Versailles High School, Versailles, Ohio
- Katie Layman – Montpelier High School, Montpelier, Ohio
- Trey Lucie – Riverfront Christian School, Front Royal, Virginia
The 2012 Richard H. Gorsuch Scholarship recipients are:
- Hanna Dupee – Wellington High School, Wellington, Ohio
- Daughter of Oberlin Municipal Power System Director Steve Dupee
- William Feeney – Magnolia High School, New Martinsville, West Virginia
- Son of New Martinsville City Councilmember Christian Bachman
- Lindsey Pape – New Bremen High School, New Bremen, Ohio
- Daughter of New Bremen Mayor Jeff Pape
- Tiffany Stelzer – Edison High School, Milan, Ohio
- Daughter of Milan Utility Clerk Julie Stelzer
Since 1988, more than $220,000 has been awarded to deserving high school seniors through the AMP scholarship programs.
View official news release